Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sex, Religion, and Kids....


Christianity is harmful to children.......I'm convinced!

And not for the obvious reasons, because there are so many lol. Let me explain:

I had a dream today (more like a nightmare) where I was sitting in a room full of church folk, teens and adults. We were gathered to watch a Christian film and were sitting quietly, when suddenly, every adult stood up and left the room. The film played for a few minutes and the youth sat obediently for as long as they could stand it, and then it happened lol: the youth began dancing on each other, humping, bumpin' n grindin', losing their minds! The sexual tension that had been building between them had become unbearable but the scene I was witnessing was an obvious result of suppression and lack of education.

The funny thing is that I know of so many young church communities where things like this actually happen! Well, not exactly like this, but you get what I mean.

The point is, when children and young adults are taught to suppress their sexualities, they not only find other ways to express them, they find devious and unhealthy ways. I know of churches where youth performed explicit sexual acts in the bathrooms, on youth group retreats, and in the middle of youth group meetings under a blanket for Christ's sake!!
(not me, I swear lol)

Religious leaders need to recognize the damage they are causing our young people and what it is costing their futures sexually. Sex may be forbidden, even frowned upon before marriage, but it was created to be experienced as a healthy joining of two (or more lol) individuals. And how can one get to the healthy part if one's early understandings of sex and sexuality are rife with negativity, confusion, and an unclear sense of one's sexual self? I mean, even masturbation if sinful lol.........get where I'm going with this? Good.

"Where knowledge ends, religion begins." ~Benjamin Disraeli

No comments: