Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"- My stream of consciousness



This will be the first time Disney has created a princess movie where the princess is Black....But I have this weird feeling about it and I'm not sure it's justified...

So, I know the girl has dark skin and clearly by her voice, she's suppose to be Black...but...I know I don't look like her...and I don't think I've come across many Black women who do. Honestly, I feel like they just drew a white princess and painted her a lil bit darker lol.

But is that bad? Like, I know some would probably have found it offensive if they had given her "Black" features (notice the quotes cuz what are Black features really?), but I'm not quite satisfied with how she looks. Just like I was never satisfied with my Black barbies as a kid . They just looked like regular barbie with darker skin...not like any Black woman I had ever seen.

Am I wrong for being so critical or should I just be happy that they're finally coming out with something like this? I feel guilty for my dissatisfaction.

I dunno...it's a hard thing to think about because I soooo badly wanna feel excited about a Black princess...I just feel like her image is inaccurate.

But I could just be trippin...

I mean, did any of the characters actually look Black to yall? Even the prince and the bad guy? I know we as Black people are very versatile in our complections and facial features, especially in New Orleans.

So maybe they are making the movie accurate and I'm just fishing...I dunno lol...she is just a cartoon, after all...

You tell me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Maybe it will help to note that white princesses don't look like white women either. :)

Saren J. said...

I think it's a little too much to ask of Disney to make an "accurate" film (esp a "fairy tale")--but incorporating 'diversity' (or something resembling a form of diversity) into their repertoire could be a step in a good direction.

But all in all, i agree with the previous poster: all the previous princesses don't look or act like real women either, whether they were white or middle eastern or whatever else Disney made them.

Anonymous said...

Did anybody take a good look at that frog? It's definitely not an accurate portrayal of what real frogs look like ;-)

Randa said...

I agree with all of you lol...I think I was just digging :)