Thursday, January 15, 2009

Update on Stripper Mom

Ok so here is a video of "Stripper Mom" trying to justify her previous video! I got this, again, from Happy Nappy Head
(an amazing blog that you should all follow).

I dunno how I feel about this response. She claims that she's a pole dance instructor and in no way teaching her child to be a stripper...hmmm....raise your hand if you believe that one! (there should be no hands raised at this time). I mean, if she's not teachin' the girl, then why have her anywhere near the pole or even mimicking her moves? I understand that mothers should teach their children about sexuality, but honestly, steering them in the direction of erotic dancing or anything of the sort when they could be social activists or doctors or anything else in the world...i dunno...seems kinda fishy to me! I will say that the woman clearly understands the implications of her video.
Well, I'll let you come to your own conclusions about it by giving you the response video!
I give you, Stripping 101 for Toddlers: The Backlash:

6 comments:

Colin said...

Well, I'm with on the notion that it's probably not the best thing to be exposing your child to, but, before I go into that, you might want to check out these links on Competitive Pole Dancing. There is at least some growing legitimacy for it:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/competitive-pole-dancing

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rchemel/pole-dancing-for-2012-olympics-4c

That being said, lady definately doesn't have the gymnast's body type, so I doubt she's much of an olympic hopeful. I agree it's not a healthy or balanced thing to introducing her child to, but at the same time, consider this: strippers (especially well practiced ones, like the kind who have a pole in their house) can make a good living off of it. Wouldn't it be better to let the child know that mommy dances for people so she can support them than keeping where she goes and what she does at late hours of the night secereted away? I mean, honesty is important, and children are smarter than we often give them credit for, so it's probably better to show her now than let her find out later on her own when she's older.

Randa said...

See that's the problem tho, she claims she's not a stripper. She claims she's just a pole dance instructor, for exercise purposes only. I have a problem with this because I feel like she and many others are glorifying strippers (not to say I down strippers in any way, shape, or form cuz trust me, lol, I don't) and that's dangerous for a young girl to see. Most women don't go into stripping because it's this amazing thing. Most do it because it's a last resort type of thing. So I guess that's why I have a problem with her exposing it to her child like it's this fun game that mommies play.

Saren J. Call said...

Whether or not there is a growing legitimacy for pole dancing, i think what's disturbing is the objectification of the womyn doing something that is pleasing through the male gaze. When pole dancing/stripping/"exotic" dancing is legitimized, i feel like it's only a legitimization of the 21st century nightmare version of the male gaze.
Those guys sure aren't thinking, "wow, she must have a great head on her shoulders." While i agree that honesty is important, as well, i think that mommies who strip or dance need to be real about the implications of that line of work. Sure, it's good exercise, and it might be fun, but it's important to examine why it's enjoyable (which, for me, comes down to satisfying an aspect of the male gaze). If you can balance that, then dance away.

Dekk said...

*insert abstract argument*

lol

lady is ignorant.

-Dekk-

Hanif said...

I find that for many people the easiest way out of dealing with the complex social issues that ensnare us is to judge them. We can always find a reason to look down our noses at others. Raise your hand if you've never been in a strip club.
Yea, that's what I thought.

Andrea said...

hand raised.