Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is this what mothering has become?

So I found this video on a blog I follow called Happy Nappy Head
(an amazing blog, btw).
I just want to say that it breaks my heart to know that there are mothers who believe that sexualizing their toddler and adolescent children is good parenting. In fact, I have a family member who, over Christmas, thought it exciting that her 2-year old daughter could execute the new Chris Brown "coochie pop" while straddling the floor. I was mortified, to say the least. And you know, this isn't new to me! But it never stops being depressing when I see it.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you....Stripping 101 for Toddlers (that's what I'm calling it)

P.S.
PLEASE comment on this...I really want feedback!

3 comments:

Connie Ross said...

This is disgusting. I didn't even watch the whole thing. I was *HOPING* that it had been edited so the baby and momma weren't swinging 'round the pole at the same time but apparently they were. And we wonder why we have a problem with teen pregnancy...

Dekk said...

I find the sexualization of modern dance trends in general to be perverse, especially when taking in to consideration the inadequate level of comprehensive sexual health education. It seems that we are quick to sexualize women for viewing pleasure (i.e. "pussy popping") but slow to empower them with proper information (i.e. self efficacy, contraception, STI awareness, relationship safety, etc.). As a result we have a generation of young men and women who are encouraged to be sexual without knowing how to do so safely in relation to their physical and mental health.

In regards to dance, I find it humorous that many people defend modern trends by saying, "it's not sexual, it's just how I learned to dance." Yet when they see a younger girl mimicking adolescent and adult dance norms they are quick to be concerned. In my teen and adult life I have yet to see an era where dance was not saturated with sexual objectification. Dance clubs are not much different than strip clubs and music videos could easily pass as erotic short films. It is no surprise that as my generation becomes parents they are passing on the trends that they have so ignorantly absorbed.

Andrea said...

That was disturbing...why was the child even in the video? weird.

Oh yeah, and my 5 year old told me last night she already had her first kiss. WHAT!!!

Amen to what Dekk says...I know I will take responsibility for empowering my daughters about their own sexuality as they grow up. I think I am still working on it myself! :)